General Precision, Inc.

General Precision has a long association with the military. In 1937, Lewis W. Imm created the Librascope to help with balancing the loads of aircraft. This company, through various name changes, became a subsidiary of General Precision Equipment in 1941.

This association with the aircraft industry continued and they produced both analog and later digital computing devices of all kinds for aircraft control and navigation. They even produced equipment used on the Gemini space program.

Perhaps their most famous commercial product, with about 500 being sold, was the small (desk sized), vacuum tube, drum memory, computer known as the LGP-30 in the mid-1950s. General Precision was sold to Singer in 1968.

toggle menu