This is a color image of three men working in front of the ILLIAC IV computer. The man on the left is standing and typing into a console that is attached to the ILLIAC Control Unit. The other two men are kneeling and testing one of the boards of the ILLIAC on a test machine. Light is coming from the overhead ceiling. Written on verso side of image in pencil is "#1450" and in pen "ILLIAC IV - 11/12". Written on the yellow post it note is "ILIAC [sic] IV (60s)". Parallel Processing appeared in the huge ILLIAC IV, the first computer to abandon the classic one-step-at-a-time scheme of John von Neumann. ILLIAC IV had sixty-four processors, each with its own memory, all operating simultaneously on separate parts of one problem. Designed at the University of Illinois and built by Burroughs, the computer took six years to complete at a cost of $40 million. It was the fastest machine then in use, but ahead of its time. Plagued by technical ills and very difficult to program, ILLIAC IV was one of a kind.
Identification photograph; Publicity photograph
Illiac IV (Computer); Burroughs Corporation; Computers--History; Computer industry--History