TitleYu patent notebook (#726)
AuthorYu, Albert Y. C.
Biographical NotesAlbert Y. C. Yu was born in Shanghai, China, in 1941. He received a B.S. from the California Institute of Technology and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from Stanford University, all in Electrical Engineering. He joined Fairchild circa 1968 and is listed on a 1968 R&D organization chart in the Surface Physics section reporting to E. Snow. He joined Intel in 1972 and remained with the company for more than 30 years where he rose to the position of Senior Vice President. He oversaw the development of microprocessor families including the 386, the 486, many of the Pentiums and the Itanium. He was also involved with Intel’s entry into the optoelectronics business as well as international expansions. On retiring from Intel he served on the boards of a number of high technology companies, Venture Capital firms and non-profit organizations. He received the Distinguished Lifetime Achievement Award from CIE-USA and has published over 30 technical papers and two books: "Insider's View of Intel" (1995) and "Creating the Digital Future" (1998).
ExtentApproximately 34 dated entries over 111 pages.
Dimensions12 x 10 inches
DescriptionThis volume contains extended calculations and photomicrograph results of process technology experiments on Al-nSi transistor and diode contacts. Specific items include; resistance on ohmic and rectifying contacts (pp. 27-41); on Schottky diodes (p. 57); switching experiments (pp. 72-81); SEMs of Al-Si interface (pp. 86-95); contact to GaAs (p. 96); high temperature metallization scheme (p. 100) - mentioned in Waits (199) (p. 75); ion implantation of resistors (p. 101); MNOS transistor for RAM & ROM memories (pp. 102-109).
PatentsThe author is named as inventor on 1 U.S. patent, including 1 patent assigned to Fairchild:
U.S. patent 3571674, “Fast switching PNP transistor” Filed 1969-01-10. Issued 1971-03-23.
Collection TitleFairchild Semiconductor notebooks and technical papers
PublicationsThe author contributed to the following R&D Technical Reports (TR) and conference papers during his service at Fairchild:
TR326 Surface effects on metal-silicon contacts (1968-07-24).
TR352 Minority carrier injection of metal-silicon contacts (1968-07-19).
TR390 Electron tunneling and contact resistance of metal-silicon contact barriers (1969-03-10).
TR405 Characteristics of aluminum-silicon Schottky barrier diode (1969-05-06).
TR416 Radiation effects on silicon Schottky barriers (1969-07-03).
TR427 Aluminum-n-type silicon Schottky barrier (1969-09-08).
TR440 The metal-semiconductor contact - an old device with a promising future (1969-11-17).
TR484 Ohmic contacts to epitaxial pGaAs (1970-09-14).
TR490 Alloying behavior of Au and Au-Ge on GaAs (1970-10-30).
TR505 hFE falloff at low temperatures (1971-03-26).
TR545 Ion implantation for silicon device fabrication (1972-08-18).
Gopen, H. J. and Yu, A. Y. C., hFEfalloff at low temperatures. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 18, iss. 12 (1971): 1146-1148.
Gyulai, J., Mayer, J. W., Rodriguez, V., Yu, A. Y. C., and Gopen, H. J. Alloying Behavior of Au and AuGe on GaAs. Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 42, iss. 9 (1971): 3578-3585.
* Yu, A. Y. C., Characteristics of aluminum-silicon Schottky barrier diode. 1969 International Electron Devices Meeting, vol. 15 (1969): 140.
* Yu, A. Y. C ., Electron tunneling & contact resistance of metal-silicon contact barriers. Solid-State Electronics, vol. 13, iss. 2 (1970): 239-247.
* Yu, A. Y. C., The metal-semiconductor contact: an old device with a new future. IEEE Spectrum, vol. 7, iss. 3 (1970): 83-89.
* Yu, A. Y. C ,. Minority carrier injection of metal-silicon contacts. Solid-State Electronics, vol. 12, iss. 3 (1969-03): 155-160.
Yu, A. Y. C., Gopen, H.J. and Waits, R.K. Ohmic contacts to GaAs. 1970 International Electron Devices Meeting, vol. 16 (1970): 148.
* Yu, A. Y. C. and Snow, E. H. Radiation effects on silicon Schottky barriers. IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol. 16, iss. 6 (1969): 220-226.
* Yu, A. Y. C., and Snow, E. H. Surface effects on metal silicon contacts. Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 39, iss. 7 (1968): 3008-3016.
* This paper is included in a three volume bound set of “Fairchild Research Published Technical Papers” assembled by Bruce Deal in 1988 (copy in the CHM Fairchild collection).