TitleIBM Tape History - Session 2: Overview of tape products and product management
|Gardner, Tom, Moderator|
|Hendrie, Gardner, Videographer|
|Levine, Joel, Panelist|
|Rizzi, Albert, Panelist|
|Teale, John, Panelist|
PublisherComputer History Museum
Place of PublicationMountain View, California
DescriptionThis is session two of five sessions held in Tucson, AZ, regarding IBM’s tape storage history. The five sessions are:
1. Tape Media (CHM catalog number: 102737991)
2. Overview of tape products and product management (CHM catalog number: 102737993)
3. 3480 tape drive (CHM catalog number: 102738020)
4. Linear Tape Open (LTO) Consortium (CHM catalog number: 102738022)
5. Recovery of tapes damaged in Challenger disaster (CHM catalog number: 102738024).
See IBM Tape History Session 1: Media for an overview of IBM Tucson.
This session is broadly focused on IBM’s development and management of tape products. Within IBM product management has been distinguished from system management; well into the 1990s product development was the responsibility of a Lab Director whose direct reports would include engineering managers for the various products assigned as well as a Product Manager having one or more subordinates responsible for business aspects of the product.
Today’s session includes a Tucson Lab Director (Teale) and two tape product managers (Levine and Rizzi).