TitleIBM tape history - Session 5: Recovery of tapes damaged in Challenger Disaster
|Bradshaw, Ric, interviewee|
|Gardner, Tom, interviewer|
PublisherComputer History Museum
Place of PublicationTucson, AZ
DescriptionThis is session five of five sessions held in Tucson, AZ, regarding IBM’s tape storage history. The five sessions are:
1. Tape Media (CHM catalog number: 102737992)
2. Overview of tape products and product management (CHM catalog number: 102737994)
3. 3480 tape drive (CHM catalog number: 102738021)
4. Linear Tape Open (LTO) Consortium (CHM catalog number: 102738023)
5. Recovery of tapes damaged in Challenger disaster (CHM catalog number: 102738025).
See IBM Tape History Session 1: Media for an overview of IBM Tucson.
Dr. Ric Bradshaw was part of the IBM team that recovered the data from the severely damaged tapes recovered after the 1996 Challenger disaster. His observations, findings and conclusions are memorialized in a set of images that he has presented in a number of venues over the years; In October 2016 in Tucson for the Computer History Museum he recorded two sessions with his images. This is the edited transcript of the second session.