DATE & TIME
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
6 p.m. Reception
7 p.m. Program
Wine for Core reception provided by the Mountain Winery
1401 N. Shoreline Boulevard
Mountain View, CA 94043
Call (650) 810-1898 for information.
ABSTRACT OF TALK
Join Gary Reback, author of the new book Free the Market! in conversation with Michael Arrington of TechCrunch to discuss how the Obama Administration’s antitrust enforcement policies will affect Silicon Valley’s economy.
Drawing on vivid, behind-the-scenes accounts of leading high tech lawsuits – involving top companies like Apple, Microsoft, IBM, Oracle and AT&T – Reback’s new book paints a tableau of government policy gone awry. “You can read his account as eyewitness history, a memoir of legal warfare,” wrote Scott Herhold in the San Jose Mercury News. “Free the Market! is a white paper meant to influence a new government in Washington D.C.”
Reback and Arrington will examine President Obama’s commitment to innovation along with his promise of renewed antitrust enforcement to make predictions about how the new administration will answer important questions.
- Should antitrust enforcers stop worrying about Microsoft?
- When will the Justice Department sue Google?
- Is industry consolidation good for the Valley? Is it legal?
- Will the government challenge the assertions of patents by giant patent pools?
- What does antitrust say about companies that are “too big to fail”?
The Computer History Museum offers a variety of membership levels. To find out more, please visit our individual membership or call 650-810-2722.