Duration: Part Time / Temporary
Location: Milpitas, CA
General Purpose of the Position:
The Collections Specialist’s primary responsibilities are to catalog, process photographs and reconcile records relating to the Museum’s hardware and ephemera collection and to train volunteer catalogers. Under the terms of the Collection Cataloging and Reconciliation Project Phase 2, the Museum is hiring one position at .60 FTE (24 hrs/wk) to work offsite at the Museum’s Milpitas storage facility.
- Record detailed information about artifacts in the Museum’s hardware and ephemera collection using the Museum’s collections management database
- Digitally photographs artifacts and processes photographs for inclusion in collections database
- Handles and packs artifacts using archival supplies and methods for long-term storage
- Conducts provenance research using the Museum’s acquisitions records and publications
- Assists with training and supervising cataloging volunteers and interns
- Performs quality control checks of collections database records
- Collaborates with forklift drivers to access palletized artifacts
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of artifact storage facilities
- Inspects offsite facility for risk management issues, such as security, environment and pests
- Other duties as assigned
Required Background, Experience, and Education:
- Masters degree in Museum Studies, or Library Sciences with Archival emphasis
- Experience handling artifacts and cataloging 3-D objects in a museum setting.
- Knowledge of collections management processes.
- Detail-oriented and ability to be flexible.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a diverse group of people
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Proficiency with Windows and Microsoft office software.
- Ability to lift 30 lb. and to learn to use a pallet jack and drive a scissor lift.
- Regular work schedule would be approximately 24 hours per week @ Tues, Wed, Thurs between 8am-5pm
Preferred Qualifications, Attributes and Skills:
- Experience working with volunteers in a museum setting.
- Proficiency with Mimsy XG collections management software.
- Experience with digital photography and Adobe Photoshop or Microsoft Picture Viewer.
How to Apply
To apply, please email resume & cover letter to Karen Kroslowitz (Director of Collections) at firstname.lastname@example.org.