Location: Mountain View, CA
Department: Collections & Exhibitions
The Senior Registrar manages the safety and integrity of the artifact collections and is responsible for all aspects of documenting, preserving, protecting, and providing access to the collections and collections records. The Senior Registrar primarily manages incoming and outgoing loans, research and media requests, moving collections for long-term storage, and mitigates risks for all collection types by monitoring storage and exhibit spaces for security, environment and pests.
- Oversee overall physical management of the artifact collection including storage and organization, preservation, security, moves and physical inventories, and facilities.
- Manage acquisition and loan processes, including review and approval, cataloging incoming loans, location tracking and artifact shipments.
- Provide controlled access to the physical object (hardware and ephemera) collection in support of loans and research requests from other museums, CHM curators, external researchers, media, etc.
- Coordinate all collections moves and artifact retrievals, records location changes and reconciles issues, and coordinates work with outside contractors such as conservators, movers, riggers and others for special projects as approved.
- Manage collections moves and storage at offsite storage facility, including fork lifting and other facility-related support.
- Assist with the receipt and processing of large acquisitions when needed.
- Assist with exhibit development, installation, maintenance and artifact cleaning when needed.
- Supervise the Registrar to support acquisitions and exhibit maintenance, security and housekeeping.
- Oversee and continuously improve collections records management, including permanent paper file and database records regarding acquisitions, loans, condition reports and deaccessions.
- Research and reconcile old loans.
- Support the Director of Collections in the deaccessioning process by performing research and documenting each transaction.
- Collaborate on the development and implementation of collections management policies, procedures, facility reports and disaster plans.
- Assist with the administration of the MimsyXG database, data quality, reports and forms.
- Communicate proactively across departments regarding collections storage facilities and shared resources.
- Coordinate and implement specialized training or projects for graduate interns and volunteers to assist in collections management activities.
Required Background, Experience, and Education:
- Masters degree in Museum Studies from an accredited college and 3+ years progressive experience as a professional registrar.
- Demonstrated experience in and knowledge of museum collections best practices with emphasis in domestic and international loans processing, condition reporting, shipping logistics, and insurance/indemnity.
- Experience using Mimsy XG or similar collections management relational database.
- Familiarity with environmental standards for collections storage.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, establish priorities and organize/execute several tasks simultaneously
- Excellent written and oral communications skills specific to provenance research, policies, documentation and correspondence as well as excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail with the ability to collaborate with a wide variety of museum colleagues, peers, vendors, volunteers, interns, and others.
- Experience in large artifact cataloging, handling, moving, collections storage and preventive conservation.
- Familiarity with computer, technology or electronics collections and preservation requirements.
- Experience working with and supervising interns or volunteers.
- Experience using eClimate Notebook.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs., climb a ladder, learn to use a pallet jack and learn to drive a scissor lift.
- Staff in this position must travel occasionally between Mountain View and Milpitas. A valid CA driver’s license and reliable transportation are required.
- Duties may include occasional weekend or evening work.