Give tours to visitors. Operate the Difference Engine. Catalog unique, rare artifacts. Participate in one-of-a-kind events with computer industry notables. Share your passions with others. Meet friends. Have fun.
Be part of computing history. Volunteer.
There are many ways to volunteer here at the Computer History Museum.
Current opportunities are:
- Special Event Volunteers. Assist with a variety of events at the Museum, from hands-on exploration and learning to welcoming and directing guests during lectures and events.
- Demonstrators. Lead demonstrations of restored historical computers, including the IBM 1401, Babbage Difference Engine No. 2, PDP-1, and RAMAC.
- Docents. Lead tours for public and private audiences.
- K12 School Group Docents. Facilitate tours and interactive workshops for school groups.
- High School Interns. Lead informal discussions around key artifacts and act as ambassadors for the Museum.
Upcoming training programs:
- Docent: February - June 2015
- Special Event Volunteers: Event-specific training on an ongoing basis.
I think the biggest thrill is when I encounter a visitor who worked on one of the exhibited machines and I learn something significant and interesting about the machine that I did not previously know. Herb Kanner, docent
Currently Recruiting for Volunteer Training
Volunteer Role: Docent
We are currently looking for new volunteers to join our docent team!
This training program will prepare new and current volunteers to lead public tours and private group reservation tours. Throughout the course, we will highlight strategies for engaging museum visitors in active learning and discussion, as well as sharing accurate and interesting historical information.
No prior volunteer or museum experience is necessary, and we welcome a diversity of backgrounds and interests!
Training sessions will take place on Wednesdays from 10:00am-3:00pm with a 1-hour lunch break.
The docent training program will be comprised of 10 classroom sessions, followed by individual qualifications:
- Session #1: Wednesday, February 4, 2015
- Session #2: Wednesday, February 18, 2015
- Session #3: Wednesday, March 11, 2015
- Session #4: Wednesday, March 25, 2015
- Session #5: Wednesday, April 8, 2015
- Session #6: Wednesday, April 22, 2015
- Session #7: Wednesday, May 6, 2015
- Session #8: Wednesday, May 13, 2015
- Session #9: Wednesday, May 27, 2015
- Session #10: Wednesday, June 3, 2015
For More Information
If you are interested in volunteering at the Museum, please contact Kate McGregor to find out more information. We would love to get to know you better and to have you join our volunteer team!
For More Information
High School Opportunities