Give tours to visitors. Operate the Difference Engine. Catalog unique, rare artifacts. Participate in one-of-a-kind events with computer industry notables. Share your passions with others. Meet friends. Have fun.
Be part of computing history. Volunteer.
There are many ways to volunteer here at the Computer History Museum.
Current opportunities are:
- Special Event Volunteers. Assist with a variety of events at the Museum, from hands-on exploration and learning to welcoming and directing guests during lectures and events.
- Demonstrators. Lead demonstrations of restored historical computers, including the IBM 1401, Babbage Difference Engine No. 2, PDP-1, and RAMAC.
- Docents. Lead tours for public and private audiences; facilitate tours and interactive workshops for school groups.
Upcoming training programs:
- Special Event Volunteers: training is ongoing.
- Babbage Demonstrators: training begins April 14, 2014.
- IBM 1401 Demonstrators: anticipated start date July/August, 2014.
- Docents: anticipated start date October 2014.
I think the biggest thrill is when I encounter a visitor who worked on one of the exhibited machines and I learn something significant and interesting about the machine that I did not previously know. Herb Kanner, docent
Currently Recruiting for Volunteer Training
Volunteer Role: Interactive School Group Facilitator
We are currently looking for new volunteers to work with our elementary, middle school and high school museum visitors! Our goal is to engage and inspire today´s youth, encouraging them to see themselves as the problem-solvers and innovators of tomorrow.
This training program will prepare new and current volunteers to lead tours for school age students, and to assist in facilitating workshops. Throughout the course, we will highlight behavioral patterns by grade level, age-appropriate content, and strategies for engaging students in active learning and discussion.
No prior teaching or museum experience is necessary, and we welcome a diversity of backgrounds and interests!
Training sessions will take place on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10am - 3pm beginning late August through November.Apply
For More Information
If you are interested in volunteering at the Museum, please contact us to find out more information. We would love to get to know you better and to have you join our volunteer team!