MICROSOFT RESEARCH LICENSE AGREEMENT | Microsoft DOS V1.1 and V2.0Corporation and you. Please read them. They apply to the software named above, which includes the media on which you received it, if any.
By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. If you comply with these license terms, you have the rights below.
1. SOFTWARE USE RIGHTS.
You may use, copy, compile, and create Derivative Works of the software, and run the software and Derivative Works on simulators or hardware solely for non-commercial research, experimentation, and educational purposes. Examples of non-commercial uses are teaching, academic research, public demonstrations, and personal experimentation. “Derivative Works” means modifications to the software, in source code or object code form, made by you pursuant to this agreement.
2. TERM. This agreement will continue indefinitely unless terminated as provided herein. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Microsoft may, in its sole discretion, terminate this agreement without cause upon thirty (30) days written notice. Upon termination, the licenses granted to you in this agreement will terminate as well.
3. SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the software, and you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. Microsoft reserves all other rights. You may not transfer the software or this agreement to any third party. If you create Derivative Works, you grant to Microsoft a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, assignable, sublicenseable license to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, modify, use, make, have made, import, and sell such Derivative Works.
4. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. The software is subject to United States export laws and regulations. You must comply with all domestic and international export laws and regulations that apply to the software. These laws include restrictions on destinations, end users and end use. For additional information, see www.microsoft.com/exporting.
5. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This agreement is the entire agreement for the software.
6. APPLICABLE LAW. This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Washington, without reference to its choice of law principles to the contrary. Each party hereby consents to the jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in King County, Washington, with regard to any suit or claim arising under or by reason of this Agreement.
7. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. The software is licensed “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it. Microsoft gives no express warranties, guarantees or conditions. Microsoft disclaims all implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
8. LIMITATION ON AND EXCLUSION OF REMEDIES AND DAMAGES. You can recover from Microsoft and its suppliers only direct damages up to U.S. $5.00. You cannot recover any other damages, including consequential, lost profits, special, indirect or incidental damages. This limitation applies to anything related to the software, including claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, guarantee or condition, strict liability, negligence, or other tort to the extent permitted by applicable law. It also applies even if Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages. The above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you because your country may not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, consequential or other damages.
IF YOU AGREE TO THE FOREGOING TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND DESIRE TO COMPLETE INSTALLATION OF THE SOFTWARE, PLEASE CLICK THE “I ACCEPT” BUTTON BELOW. OTHERWISE, PLEASE CLICK THE “I DO NOT ACCEPT” BUTTON AND THE INSTALLATION PROCESS WILL STOP.
If you would like to support the Computer History Museum’s efforts to preserve and publish historic source code like this, please consider making a voluntary contribution.