This is a black and white image of Jay Patton pointing to the ILLIAC IV computer. He is holding an envelope with his right hand while pointing. Control Unit. Jay is wearing a suite and tie and is facing the camera. There is a sign in front of the computer labeled "Burroughs ILLIAC IV". Written in blue pencil on verso side of image is "Jay Patton (Side Bar)" and in regular pencil "#1455". Parallel Processing appeared in the huge ILLIAC IV, the first computer to abandon the classic one-step-at-a-time scheme of John von Neumann. ILLIAC IV had sixty-four processors, each with its own memory, all operating simultaneously on separate parts of one problem. Designed at the University of Illinois and built by Burroughs, the computer took six years to complete at a cost of $40 million. It was the fastest machine then in use, but ahead of its time. Plagued by technical ills and very difficult to program, ILLIAC IV was one of a kind.
Illinois, University of (Urbana-Champaign)
8 x 10 in.
Identification photograph; Publicity photograph
Illiac IV (Computer); Patton, Jay; Burroughs Corporation; Computers--History; Computer industry--History