J. Presper Eckert and Dr. John Mauchly being awarded the John Scott medal
This is a black and white image of J. Presper Eckert, center, and Dr. John Mauchly, right, being awarded the John Scott medal. Eckert is wearing a coat and tie and holding the medal with his right hand. Dr. Mauchly is wearing glasses and a suit and tie and holding his medal with this right hand. Both of them are smiling at the camera. Donald Rubel, on the left, is wearing a suit and tie and looking at both Eckert and Mauchly. Written on the onion skin sheet is "Washington, D.C. December 14, 1961. Inventors of the first electronic computer, J. Presper Eckert and Dr. W. Mauchly, honored by presentation of the John Scott medal. This award, founded in 1816 and administered by the Philadelphia City Trusts, also has been received by Marie Curie, Orville Wright, Dr. Jones Salk, Sir Alexander Fleming, Charles Kettering and Dr. Vannevar Bush. Eckert and Mauchly built the first electronic computer, ENIAC, in 1946 under a contract between the University of Pennsylvania and the U.S. Army Ordnance Department. L. to r.: Donald C. Rubel, vice president of the Philadelphia Board of Directors of City Trusts, J. Presper Eckert, Dr. John W. Mauchly.". Written in pencil on onion skin sheet is "For J.P. Eckert". Written in pencil on small white round label on original protective sleeve is "1264". At the bottom right recto side of image are the words "Harris & Ewing".