Title2N68 Germanium power transistors
Dimensionsoverall: 3/4 in x 1 in x 1 in
DescriptionThe object consists of three germanium power transistors, two of which have stamped numbers on the screw mounting side: 24 and 34.
Per Jack Ward, Transistor Museum - "germanium PNP alloy junction power transistors. Mid-1950s. The Sylvania 2N68 and 2N95 were among the industry’s first commercially available germanium power transistors. These were made with an integral finned heatsink to allow increased power output. Sylvania supplied both PNP (2N68) and NPN (2N95) transistors with similar characteristics, and this allowed substantial flexibility in circuit design, especially for audio circuits that did not require expensive or bulky transformers. The characteristics and suggested circuits for these transistors is well documented in the 1955 Sylvania booklet “ 28 Uses for Junction Transistors”. The Sylvania type 2N101 (supplied without a finned heatsink) is electrically equivalent to the 2N68. The 1955 Lafayette catalogue lists these transistors for $6.50 each.
Common – Sylvania was a major supplier of germanium power transistor technology throughout the 1950s and 1960s. Devices such as the 2N68 saw widespread use in many applications and were manufactured in substantial quantities. "