Location: Mountain View, CA
The Computer History Museum seeks energetic and qualified professionals to serve as Instructors for the Broadcom Presents: Design_Code_Build program, developed and led by the Computer History Museum.
This program focuses on skills of critical-thinking, collaboration, curiosity, communication, and creativity. Participants engage in hands-on problem-solving through group activities and challenges as well as using Raspberry Pi computers. Each daylong event offers an introductory exploration of problem-solving and innovation through the lens of computer science and computer history, in order to excite youth about pursuing STEAM in their future education and careers.
Instructors will be responsible for facilitating various aspects of each event, including hands-on activities, group brainstorming discussions, interactive projects and presentations, and gallery discussions based on specific content and curriculum. The audience for most programs is middle school students (grades 6-8) and for select dates includes family members, mentors, and educators.
Qualified candidates will be retained for hire as needed, to staff specific events. Content, curriculum, and program-specific training will be provided. Events will take place on weekends. The typical shift for each event is 8:15am-4:45pm. Compensation rate is $20/hour.
- Team-teach lessons that have been developed by Education staff for the DesignCodeBuild program
- Lead hands-on activities, small-group working sessions, and gallery discussions for diverse audiences including middle school students, families, mentors and educators
- Use training resources and Museum exhibitions to ensure sufficient knowledge of computer history and the Museum's collections
- Participate in all meetings and trainings as required
- Maintain supplies and organization of instructional materials; monitor resources and report supply levels to supervising staff; maintain teaching and storage spaces in good working order
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or significant study towards completion of degree. Preferred area of study in education, STEM education, engineering, computer science, history, museum studies, child development, or related fields
- Minimum 1 year teaching experience in classrooms and/or informal educational settings
- Dynamic, energetic educator with demonstrated experience teaching diverse populations
- Knowledge of current trends in interactive learning technologies and STEM education in informal environments
- Knowledge of youth growth and development
- Knowledge of group/classroom management techniques
- Energetic, creative, and enthusiastic
- Organized, reliable, punctual, and independent
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work well with people of all ages, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability to learn new topics and technologies quickly
- Knowledge of Raspberry Pi technology and Python programming language a plus
- Spanish proficiency a plus
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as required
- Must be able to provide permissible documents to establish authorization to work in the US
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 professional references to email@example.com. Also, please put the position title on the subject line.