TitleIBM tape history - session 3: 3480 tape drive
|Gardner, Tom, moderator|
|Gaudet, Andrew, panelist|
|Winarski, Dan, panelist|
PublisherComputer History Museum
Place of PublicationTucson, AZ
DescriptionThis is session three of five sessions held in Tucson, AZ, regarding IBM’s tape storage history. The five sessions are:
1. Tape Media (CHM catalog number: 102737991)
2. Overview of tape products and product management (CHM catalog number: 102737993)
3. 3480 tape drive (CHM catalog number: 102738020)
4. Linear Tape Open (LTO) Consortium (CHM catalog number: 102738022)
5. Recovery of tapes damaged in Challenger disaster (CHM catalog number: 102738024).
See IBM Tape History Session 1: Tape Media for an overview of IBM Tucson.
The primary focus of this session is on the mechanics of the 3480 tape drive. The mechanism evolved significantly from its first embodiment, code name Intrepid, through an intermediate version, Ocotillo, into the final shipped version, code name Saguaro.